Shipwright Harbor launched Cay of Sea early last week, and I’ve spent a few days getting things squared away. Among those items were cleaning, varnishing, cleaning, rigging, cleaning. . . Well, after 4 months closed up and cold, things were/are bit untidy. Yard time seems to make everything dirty, no matter what I do.
I visited Bacon Sails several days ago, and picked up a nice used headsail for $475. On Cay of Sea this will occupy 117% of the foretriangle, which is slightly larger than we had before. The extra sail area is welcome of course, but more than that it’s a sail that is in good shape and will set well. It’s also worth noting that there is no compromise in the shape of the sail to accommodate roller furling. I’m going to enjoy the extra bit of efficiency I get. This sail also features a reefable foot. I can take 3 feet out of the foot of the sail, which will drop the sail area down to below 100%. I will also get another smaller sail eventually, and would have last week, but Bacon Sails didn’t have an appropriate sail in their inventory at that time.
I got lucky and also found a deck bag (in their huge bin of unwanted canvas items) that was the right color and right size. $65, and it’s in pretty good shape. I will get turn-buttons to close the back of the bag (it currently has UV-ruined Velcro) and sew a loop on the back as well, so that I can lift it off the deck with the halyard.
Figuring out halyards, new sheets, and a downhaul took a couple of hours. Then the trial hoist of the sail – it fit perfectly, allowing for stretch of the luff – I was very pleased with the sail and stowage.
I’ve also begun the spring varnish routine, and will need to add several coats to this preliminary sanding/coating applied today.