NOTE: This is an FYI on a new service and not an advertisement. We think it’s a handy app and wanted to let you know about it.
Want easy-to-find info on Maryland state parks? The Maryland Department of Natural Resources has an app for that.
The “Access DNR” app checks your location and lets you know what state parks are in the area, how far away, provide a map to get there, and take you the park website to find out what amenities those parks have.
The fishing section has locations. It’ll also help you get a license online. Then, once you catch a fish you can match it against fish pictures to figure out what you caught. And if you caught a really big one, the app connects you to state fishing records.
The hunting section is similar, but includes sunrise and sunset reports as well as shooting ranges so you can get a little practice in before you go out.
Kayakers can find public water access areas in Maryland and trail maps.
They’re still working on interactive maps and will be adding to the app as those are developed.
The mobile apps were created at no charge for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources by NIC Inc., through the self-funded eGovernment services contract with the State Department of Information Technology (DoIT). You can download the app through Google Play or the iPhone app store.
- Maps and directions to Maryland State Parks, trails, Wildlife Management Areas, boat launches and water access sites
- Maryland State Park activities and amenities by location
- Hunting season information by date
- An option for hunters to report their harvest directly to DNR
- A location-based sunrise/sunset display
- Trophy Case, where hunters can upload harvest photos and share through Facebook, Twitter or by email
- Maryland fish and shellfish identifier
- Tide time tables and state fish record information
- Hunting, fishing and boating regulation guides
- Breaking DNR news and alerts