“Cay of Sea” was hauled today and I got a chance to see the bottom before power washing. I’ll just post the photos and comment below. I’m still pretty impressed with Hydrocoat. There was literally one barnacle on the boat. And that was on the propeller. Now, this was a cool summer for the area, and barnacles are much more prolific when the water’s warmer, but still. . . the boat before me had a whole crop of them. Here are the photos:
Here’s what most of the hull looked like pre-washing: slime and bumpy soft growth. I had brushed the hull clean several times this year.
Clean rudder, with a bit of paint chipping. I’ll touch those places up in the spring, but won’t repaint the entire hull.
Here’s a spot I’ve been watching for several years. This is midway up the topsides, on the port side. Looks like an impact fracture, but I can’t remember when it happened. I’ll open it up this spring and repair it.
I did get a chance to briefly inspect the rig after it was on the horses. I can’t tell if my upper starboard cap shroud tang is cracked or just scratched. I’ll remove it and get a better look at it. Also noticed that all the split pins on the starboard side at the masthead were rusted! I’m sure I used stainless pins, but not all stainless is the good stuff. This will be a good opportunity to replace all the split pins and all the clevis pins. I’m confident the clevis pins are original, and some of them look pretty grooved. Once I’ve replaced the headstay, all the rigging wire and terminals will be seven years old or younger.
Also, this year’s power wash began to chip the paint on the sheer stripe, so that gets redone this spring as well. That’s another place I’ve been watching for several years, and now is the time to refresh it.